Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Week 37 - Better Late than Never

Well this week. Sorry, so yesterday wasn't p-day for me - today was. So we went to the temple today and it was super amazing!

But, anyways, to start off this week, I got a new companion. His name is Elder Neves and he is so freaking sick (this is a good thing - in Dylan's language it means cool). Ha ha. He is 100% Brazilian and he has the same personality as me. He likes to work just as I do and I have already learned so much this week. So pretty much me and him both got to transfers and we got told that we were opening a new area. Crazy, right? So I go to transfers and me and him both had 3 bags and we had no idea where we were going or what we were doing or how we were going to do it. But we somehow did it.

We were both dying with 3 bags each and then we had to get on a bus full of people with our bags. Then we had to get on a subway full of people with our bags and then a train full of people. Then we had to walk and find where our house was. It was a crazy day. But, that's not all. We got to our house and there wasn't one thing in the house - not even beds. So we went out and talked to people and then we went and slept on the floor - and ate nothing. We were starving. Then the next day still nothing shows up, so me and Elder Neves went and bought a bunch of stuff. This is where all my money went. Sorry, mom. And something that stinks is that you have to have a receipt to get a reimbursement from the church and I didn't get any receipts, so I'm pretty stuck there. Oh well, that's life, right?

So yesterday we finally got our fridge and beds and stuff, but we still don't have a table or chairs, a closet or pretty much anything else. So we just sit on the floor to study and eat, and then just live out of our bags. It's good though. It's been a good experience. I've been learning a lot and teaching a lot and talking a lot. Ha ha. And the best thing is it's only in Portuguese. My whole zone is Brazilians. There is only me and 2 other Americans out of like 25 people. It's awesome. I love it and I'm learning a ton!

So anyways, this week has been amazing and super spiritual. So I've been thinking a lot lately and studying a lot lately about how I can help my investigators and how I can help the people I run into and my companion and just everyone including myself. And I've really just been opening myself up to the Lord and just letting him guide me. I was thinking about how back home, I thought that I had faith and that like I was giving myself to the Lord by praying every night and things like that, but that's something I look back and laugh at.

I have learned how important faith is. Faith is everything! Without faith, we have absolutely nothing. But then I was reading in the Bible and it says that having the pure love of Christ (Charity) is more important, and I was pretty confused. But then I was thinking - my whole mission I have been thinking, like I wish I had more faith and I haven't understood why everything has been going so right. But then I was thinking and it's because I have so much love for these people. On my mission I have opened up so much, like I speak the truth. I don't care if you're drinking right in front of me, I'm the type of person now that will be straight up with you and say look, what you're doing right there isn't right. You need to stop and repent and ask your Heavenly Father for forgiveness because Jesus Christ is suffering right now because of what you are doing.

Right before I left Alveranga, I saw the guy that me and Elder T baptized. He was walking down the street and we went up and talked to him because he hasn't been to church in awhile. And in the pocket of his shirt, he had a pack of cigarettes. And I took them out of his pocket and said, "What in the world are you doing, Antonio? You are a grown man, not a kid. What in the world are you doing with these things of the devil." And he told me that he got laid off and I said, "So, what does that mean? You just quit, give up, and start with your bad habits again?"

Then there was a dumpster right there on the street and I threw them right in there and I said, "Antonio. Get your head up and ask the Lord for forgiveness. He will help you, but you can't go back to these things." He started crying. And then I said, "Look, Antonio. I have all of the faith in the world in you. You were a chain smoker and drinker for 40 plus years and you stopped. You need to get your head up, grab on to that rod of righteousness again and start doing what's right and the Lord will bless you." And guess what. He is now working again. Awesome right?

I've seen so many miracles in my life on my mission. And I can finally say that I have 150% faith, trust, and love in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. The other night we got to bed at 22:30 and we were without beds and all. I started to pray on the floor and the next thing you know, I look at the clock and it was 22:55. I had been praying for 25 minutes and I didn't even realize it. I love our Heavenly Father. I have seen so many miracles and the first one I've seen is the change that I have seen in myself. All of my old habits and doings of the past, I look back and think, "What in the world!" But now, it's all to the Lord and I know that he lives. I know that this gospel is true. Just here on the mission, I have received answers and answers about the truthfulness of this work and of this gospel.

I love you guys so much and I hope that y'all have an awesome and blessed week. You guys mean the world to me and I hope that you know that. I love y'all and my invite to y'all this week is try and have a little more faith and see what a difference it will make. Love y'all. Have an amazing week.

Oh ya, and real quick. We went to the temple today and Elder Neves' recommend was expired so we didn't get in the session. But, we did sealings instead. I can only imagine that day when it's my turn to be sealed to my love for the rest of my life. Holy crap. The spirit was so strong. I was only a witness, but it was still amazing. I love y'all!! Have a good one!!

Love 
Elder Blake
P.S. Sorry we only had 30 minutes on the computer, so I'm only sending this email. I'm not sending anyone a personal message. I love you all. And mom, if you can, please put a little extra cash in my account. I had to buy garments and all the stuff for the house, so if you could, it would help a lot. Thanks a ton! :)















No comments:

Post a Comment