Sunday, July 21, 2013

The REST of the Story!


I have been going back and forth on whether or not I wanted to post this story. It is truly a part of Dylan's mission and it answered so many questions. But, it is very personal and dear to all of our hearts.

For those of you who don't know, right after Dylan put in his mission papers he had a dream. He had a dream that he would go on his mission to Brazil. Brazil was not a place that he wanted to go (he actually wanted to go to the Marshall Islands) or even thought about, but he just felt so strongly that he was going there and we all know that is where he was called. Now the rest of the story. . .

The day that Dylan was set apart as a missionary, July 15, 2013, we went over to my mom and dad's to say goodbye. Dylan has been his grandpa's shadow ever since he was born, and he is the first one of my dad's kids or grandkids to serve a mission. It was hard and very emotional on all of us. As we were getting ready to leave, my dad said, "Do you want to hear a story?" Of course all of us did, so my dad continued. And this is what he said.

"This story probably started about 60 years ago. When I was a boy, I always knew that I would go on a mission. It was something that I just knew - there was never a doubt in my mind that I would go. And I knew that I would go to Brazil. Even as a small boy, I knew I would go to Brazil on my mission. I don't know why Brazil, but I knew that I would go there.

"I put in my mission papers at 19, and lo and behold when I got my call it was to Brazil. It was to Sao Paulo, Brazil. Back in those days, they only had one Sao Paulo mission that covered the whole area. (By this time, there is not one dry eye in the house. The spirit was so strong.)

"I went into the MTC and started learning the language. I had a really good friend in there too. He was not learning the language well at all. The officials at the MTC called him in one day and reassigned him to the London England mission. My friend was so disappointed and discouraged. I prayed as to what I should do. I asked to speak to the officials in the MTC and asked them if they would also reassign me. So they did. I was now going to the London England mission.

"I have always wondered how my life would have turned out if I would have gone to Brazil. But, I developed my love for banking in London and it has served me well my whole life. When you (Dylan) got close to putting your papers in to serve a mission, I started praying. I asked the Lord that if he saw fit and it was in His plan, that he would send you to Brazil.

"And, lo and behold, when you received your mission call, it was to Sao Paulo Brazil. The same mission I was assigned to almost 50 years ago."

Now we know why the dream. Now we know why Brazil. Now we know that there is a reason for someone from our family to go to Brazil. I wish I knew the time table on when Dylan received his dream and when my dad started praying, but I am pretty sure the two are linked closely together. When Dylan received his call, I remember stating to my mom how emotional my dad was. Now I know why and now I am just as emotional about it.

Now we all know the rest of the story!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment